Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wednesday-My Middle of the Week-Weekend

Dear Friend,


Another wonderful day off. I love my 4-10's! It gives me 2 Mondays a week but it also gives me 2 Fridays! Hooray for Friday!

First, CONGRATULATIONS to the new Pinal County Public Defender. Yes, our own C. N. Weagant is now the man to see in Pinal County. All we need now is 6 more 5 cent-related families to join us out here in the woolly wilds of QC and we can be voting block to recon with!

Help me figure this one out, please. Lisa came out Saturday to learn how to make one of those wonderful tote bags from Quilts Illustrated. She got off to a good start-ironing and starching the fabric, then she cut it according to the instructions. She started sewing, even made one whole panel-so where did it happen that I ended up sewing the entire bag??? Anyway it is done and she did it these great fabrics. I love 30's & 40's fabrics. After that, I got the backs to my star quilt and my Yellowstone panel quilt put together and went to Sue's (my favorite long-arm quilter and friend) to trade. I picked up this wall hanging. Isn't it gorgeous? It's a block of the month from 2007 Quilt History Study-the Civil War Years and each block is based on the myth of the Underground Railroad Quilt. Sue did some beautiful custom work on this, the feathers in the borders. I tried to do a close up but I can't do it justice.


Last week I finally finished "The Zookeeper's Wife" (don't tell anyone I skipped 2 chapters so I could read the ending). During the discussion of this book we talked about the tremoundous spirit of the people of Poland during the Nazi occupation and the work they did for the underground resistance. I am in awe of their work and accomplishments. The story is being made into a movie and should be released sometime this spring. I don't know any particulars about who or when-but it will be interesting to see if they can bring a little more life to the story.

Ms. Ackerman, the author, is well-known for her writing about nature, human nature and poetry. But most of us in the group felt the book lacked something, suggesting we kept reading looking for something exciting or dangerous (more climatic???) to happen. In fact, all of these things did happen, it just wasn't portrayed in this story. The diary exerpts were wonderful though, and both of the Zabinski's risked everything for their Jewish and Polish friends. Would any of us be willing to hide or help our friends and neighbors in our homes at such great risk and danger to our own lives? I hope we could stand the test but will never have to.

Now it's on to "American Made, The Story of the WPA". I guess now is as good as time as any to reread what a miserable failure "government work" was to the economy of the American people. Luckily, I don't have to read the whole thing-just a couple of chapters.





Love to all, Me and "Maxine"

1 comment:

Shanan and Danica said...

I have to say lol to maxine...priceless. :)