Friday, February 27, 2009

Busy, Busy Busy

Dear Friend,


Well I have been busy the last couple of days. I machine stiched the binding on the brown and red quilt and now have another hand project setting at my TV chair (did I tell you that I hate this part of quilting). It puts me to sleep faster than Tylonel PM!) but I did find a marvelous website with a tutorial for put binding on the was the slickest technique since sliced bread. I knew how to do the corners but it's the beginning-end joining that made me crazy. If you want to try it go here and there is even a PDF to print with wonderful pictures to illustrate.



Last night I went to ZT for a Quilt History Group. We discuss a specific time period, the events and influences they had on quilting and the women of that era. Right now we are discussing the early 20th century,the 20's and 30's. I have grown really like the fabric of this time period and now have a chance to look at the lives of the women. One of the books I am reading is called Waiting on the Bounty, The Dust Bowl Diary of Mary Knackstedt Dyck.




(This is a 30's top I am going to machine quilt today and tomorrow. Wish me luck.)

When we first moved to Wellton, we went through some bad dust storms and I remember how bad they were. But to have them blow away your life and your living, day after day, year after year, it is makes the little bit of craft/art/necessity that these quilts were, more special. For most women in the early days, quilting with a circle of friends was the only social life and the only artform that most of them had. If you think a faded and worn feedsack quilt is ugly and useless, stop and think about the woman who lovingly stitched it together to make something useful, yet pretty for her home and then got to spend a few hours with her neighbors and friends quilting it.


Mat just sent me a couple more photos. This is a red-tailed hawk. He has watched it catch 6 rabbits while he is working out in this area.



And here is a picture of the Upper Ranch. I think this taken from on top of a mountain. Makes me wish summer was here.


I will write more later, Shirley is trying to find her way out here and I need to close now to get ready for a visit with her. I think we'll go to lunch at Cravings and maybe do a little exploring around here.
Love to all, Jan

3 comments:

Jen said...

I need a "Ranch Fix" :)

Anonymous said...

Love your quilt. There are some patterns that just scream for 20s and 30s and 40s prints. I'm re-piecing some antique blocks that were *so* bad. They'll be 9" instead of 12" blocks, but all the pieces will be square where they are supposed to be. It's all feedsack and muslin from that 30s era. I have all the blocks apart, and one re-sewn. It's on my UFO list. Maybe I'll do *that* next time instead of Shoo Fly blocks. Of which I am sick!

That books sounds good. Could I borrow it, too? I'm bringing back Zookeeper's Wife. I agreed with you. This is a story which could have been so riveting, and it was in places, but her writing just deadened it completely for me.

bradi said...

That quilt is very beautiful. And you have been busy!