Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Best Friends Birthday



"Best Friends" by William J Kallwick

Today is my oldest (as in - clear back to second grade) best friend's birthday. I won't say how old she really is, but until we turned that all important age of 16, I was always made aware that she was 7 months older than me. Now I like to remind her that she is still 7 months older than me.

Irene's family lived "next door" to us through most of grade school and we had wonderful adventures together. We survived all the surprises and antics of growing up, all the way through sharing an apartment in Yuma.

Our lives paralled a lot as we grew older and (I hope) wiser, but work and family have kept us busy and so we try to "go to Concho" once or twice a year so we can spend a few hours together catching up and sharing. ("Going to Concho" was what our mothers used to tell us when they wanted to visit without kids around.)

Happy Birthday Irene! I can't wait for our "Concho" visit later this month.




Irene & Lisa at Mom's funeral in August.


The road to Concho!


3 comments:

Marla said...

I think 'Going to Concho' would be great, sort of like putting your hand underneath Mom's pillow and finding the chocolate stars.

Anonymous said...

I love that the tradition of going to Concho has been passed down. Does Lisa do it, too?

How wonderful to have a friend that is truly lifelong.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Irene I hope you and Jan have a great day getting together. Going to Concho is a great concept--but really having to go there isn't that great unless you are a survivalist or a polygamist!
Judy