Monday, March 15, 2010

Ready for More Quilts?

Dear Friend.

I picked up my copy of the Quilt Show program and now I will try to match names to some more of the photos I want to share with you.


This is another quilt done by Geri Hruzek (Crazy Quilt-Birds of a Feather). I loved this quilt for the technique. It is appliqued, a technique called broderie perse. The technique was popular in the 18th and 19th century. The quilter would cut a large (usually) floral relief from a chintz fabric and applique it to a solid background. The term means Persian embroidery. Sometimes the quilter would add embroidery to enhance the applique-notice the tendrils. The other amazing thing about this quilt-hand quilted and very well done.

I have come to the realization that this very talented lady has a lot of time-she might not even own a computer. I would love to have the time to do some of this kind of handwork. In both examples of her work she exemplifies some of the greatest traditions of quilting.

Do you have time for one more?
Isn't this fun! Actually, I was thinking of my sil, Shawn, who will go to all kinds of extremes to decorate for Halloween. I mean-he spends hours creating fun outside decorations but when Christmas comes, well let's just say he's not to much into it. Anyway, This just made me smile and I couldn't back far enough to get another shot but there is a huge tarantula hanging from the top of the quilt. (I know-tarantulas are not spiders but it's not my quilt!)

That's it for today. More to come and I hope you enjoy the show.
Jan

No comments: