Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer Reading List

Dear Friend,
When I was not this old, I would find a good book and read all night and still make it through the next day. I could read a book and remember the characters and the story. I could take a book with me and read at stop lights. I read anytime, anywhere. All of this seems so long ago. I miss those days.

Now when I try to read, in bed-I have to fight my glasses (now a necessity to read anything), my aches and pains and the inability say awake more than 10 minutes. That and the fact that the computer has taken over my life and sometimes can't remember what I read 10 minutes ago, means I am reading less and it has become a challenge.

The good thing about driving almost 70 miles a day all by myself, I am enjoying audio books. I found a couple of good ones for my summer reading list and keep looking for more.

I just finished Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas. In fact, I enjoyed this story so much, I immediately started listening to it a second time. Her stories of fictional history usually connect to one of my passions, quilts and the women who made them. One of the things I like about her books is the dialogs, the way she has her characters speak in the vernacular of the place and time. In fact, I just learned that she reads a lot of womens diary's and journals as research, using these to build her own library of phrases and terms that she keeps on her computer for her writing.

Prayers for Sale is a story about a very young Civil War widow that goes to a gold mining town in Colorado to start a new life. She is the narrator of her own stories and the people in and around her life. As she tells her stories, she has to let go of her "blue devil" that haunts her for more than 70 years before she can move to the next stage of her life's journey.

I admit, I have read several of Sandra Dallas's books and have enjoyed almost everyone of them. Her last book, Tallgrass, was a story about a terrible time in America's history as we forced the American Japanese into prison camps during WWII.

Another audio book, one of my all-time favorites that I will always reread, To Kill A Mockingbird, narrated by Sissy Spacek. She does such a wonderful "Scout", I felt like I was right there with Jem and Scout Finch as they tumbled through their youth and experiences in Maycomb County during the early years of the 20th century. I will never, though, be able to hear or picture Atticus Finch as anyone other than Gregory Peck, whether I read the book or listen to the narration. There are some great actors that were born for certain roles. this was his and that might be a topic for another post.

I just picked up an audio copy of Charles Dickens, Great Expectations, because I really want to reread some of the classics that influenced me when I was younger. Since I will be working for at another 2 years or more, I will be listening to a lot of books. I will keep you updated.

I do still read and recently read a wonderful historical novel called 1000 White Women: The Journals of May Dodd, by Jim Fergus. The book begins just before the US Army rounds up all the Indians in the Rockies and Plains so the White immigration could take over their lands. The Chief of one of the Cherokee tribes supposedly proposes that the Great White Father send them 1000 white brides to help "civilize" and bear "white" children. This is a fictionalized but riveting account of one woman that volunteered as a way to escape the the insane asylum she was being held in after her wealthy family disowned her. As I understand the truth of the situation, the request was made but never really happened.

I'll keep you updated on my reading list and I would love to have you share yours with me.
Love, Jan

No comments: