Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Fire In the Next Subdivision

Dear Friend,

I usually drive to and from work using the same route-Ocotillo to Ironwood, Ironwood to the 60, the 60 to Priest and then to my work site and then, I turn around and come home the same route. But, fear not, sometimes I detour. The detour I took last night is one that I really enjoy because I come into our neighborhood the back way-a sort of stop and smell the roses route. This is were I see families out in their corrals, working their horses, mowing their yards, beautiful homes, trashy homes, fences covered in banks roses, goats, sheep, new ponies, well you get the idea. It's just a nice break-until last night.


As I came south on Kenworthy, this man was walking his dog and waving one arm and then the other-I thought he was either demented or slapping at insects. As I got closer, he actually was waving me to stop-he wanted me to call 911 to report this:





This is the unfinished and abandoned housing project just north of ours. These houses have been left as framed projects for probably a year now. When I first saw the homes they were just beginning to blaze-it probably took less than 10 minutes for them to go completely. I could see 2 distinct fires-across the street from each other. After I called 911, I came home because everybody in Queen Creek suddenly needed to use that back road and they were just stopping in the middle of the street! I don't know how the emergency vehicles were able to weave through the parked cars.





On the other hand, I came home to this too:



Nikki was making yummy cinnamon rolls for a presentation project in her communications class. We were glad she chose to practice on us.


I'm home today to do a little sewing and some cooking in preparation for the Nicoll Reunion on Saturday. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone. I hope we have a good turn-out. I wish we could plan this so that it would work for every one's schedules and that all of you that don't live in this area could be here. Hopefully, we can put another reunion together that will work for more of us.


On another note, does anyone have a clue what this is? Well, here is your first hint-This is Shawn holding his newest and biggest favorite Fathers & Sons Outing toy.

Bingo! It's his newest potato gun. Watch out world. Shawn is hunting for a potato target. Actually, he just wants to see how far he can shoot the potato. A man with a dream!

More Later, I had to boil all the potatoes for Saturday before Shawn found them and they need my attention now.

Love Jan

3 comments:

bradi said...

Wow! That fire looks huge! And those cinnamon rolls look delicious!

Jen said...

Lots going on over there!
I'm excited for the reunion too- it's so fun seeing everyone:)

Shanan and Danica said...

Is Nikki bringing cinnamon rolls to the reunion? I think they would be a big hit! :)